February 2, 2009

The Good Ole' Days

Remember that email that was going around a couple of years ago about the kids that were graduating that year and how they hadn't lived without things like microwaves and cable TV? I’m so old that I can actually remember getting up from the couch and changing the channel. There were two knobs, one for VHF (channels 1 through 13, I think) and then UHF for the higher channels. In total I think there were 4 channels on VHF (ABC, CBS, NBC and PBS) and then 3 on UHF (17, 29 and I think the third was 48). Then there were little knobs for adjusting the horizontal and vertical picture and brightness and contrast. Remember how the picture “rolled” when something was going wrong? Then came the miracle of cable. I remember the box in our house had 30 channels. I think there were two rows of 15 and a switch that you used to switch between the rows. Ours had an extra long cord and it reached all the way to Dad’s seat on the couch. I like to think of it as a “corded” remote.

I recently actually yelled downstairs to Frank when I couldn't find the remote… the TV is less than 5 feet away.

Quote for the day: I wish there were a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence. There's a knob called "brightness," but that doesn't work. ~Author Unknown

1 comment:

  1. We lived out in the boonies, so by the time cable TV came to us, the remotes were cordless. Before cable, we just had the 3 major networks plus PBS. We could get all 4 channels in the winter and early spring, but once the leaves came out on the trees, we could only get 2 of them.

    ReplyDelete