April 24, 2009

The Concrete Kid

Gam's house is no longer hers. Settlement was today and now it belongs to someone else.

At Gam's request, Frank and I went over last night to check on it for her. She wanted to make sure that the guys who did the concrete work had put up a proper barrier so that no one would write in or drive over the fresh concrete. Thirty-two years ago, when I was but a mere 13 years old, Pappy paid me to sit and watch and make sure that no one wrote in the newly poured concrete driveway. Before I started my job, Pappy and I took a stick and scratched in "1977" at the top near the garage, it's still there. They don't make concrete and kids like they used to because the new work was unguarded for a couple of hours and no one had touched it. I wanted to scratch in "GAM" somewhere (unobtrusively of course!) but it was too hard and I had to abandon my plans. Our township is putting in a walking path in one of our parks with customized bricks, I think I'll have a GAM brick put in so her name lives forever even if she can't.

Quote for the day: In family life, love is the oil that eases friction, the cement that binds closer together, and the music that brings harmony. Eva Burrows

--

1 comment:

  1. Boy, does this bring back the memories!

    I think dedicating a brick to Gam is a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete